University of the Philippines Cebu is finally going to offer the Bachelor of Science in Statistics (BS STAT).
This was after the UP Board of Regents (BOR) approved the proposal at its 1359th meeting held on 25 March 2021.
The program intends to produce professional Statisticians who will be leaders, data scientists, analysts, academicians, and researchers that can:
- Demonstrate explanations of the theoretical bases for statistical reasoning;
- Postulate real-life problems into statistical problems;
- Use the appropriate statistical methods and computing;
- Apply appropriate statistical concepts and knowledge required in calls for professional service;
- Possess skills needed in an entry-level statistics position in the government, business, industry, academe, and research institutions;
- Pursue graduate studies in statistics or other related fields.
A graduate of the BS Statistics Program should be able to:
- Demonstrate broad and coherent knowledge and understanding in the core areas of statistics, computing, and mathematics;
- Translate real-life problems into statistical problems;
- Generate information involving the conceptualization of a strategy for generating timely and accurate/reliable data, organizing a process for putting together or compiling the needed data, and transforming available data into relevant and useful forms; and
- Identify appropriate statistical tests and methods and use these properly for the given problems, select optimal solutions to problems, and make decision in the face of uncertainty.
The proposed BS STAT curriculum includes foundation courses such as Mathematics, Statistics, and Computer Science, providing a strong foundation for students who would like to pursue graduate studies in statistics, data science or other related fields.
Electives shall be offered for students to choose an area or discipline that they want to specialize in, encouraging them students to engage in an interdisciplinary environment of Statistics.
The new program will be effective the First Semester of Academic Year 2021 – 2022.